The European Community Pavilion in on ile Notre-Dame near the Expo-Express station and facing the Pavilion of Germany. Its architectural concept evokes the form of a diamond whit multiple facets, symbolising a Europe whose influence radiates under manu and varied forms.
Steel was chosen as the principal element to emphasize the step taken 16 years ago by six countries: Belgium, France, Germany, Italy, Luxemburg and Netherlands which decided to replace age-old rivalries by a merger of essential interests. By forming the European Community, they established the first common market. In view of the success of this project, in 1957, the principal was extended to all products, and the European Community and the European Atomic Energy Community were born.
As these Communities supply the driving power, Europe is being transformed: the six members countries form a vast economic area where customs barriers are being removed and people, goods and capital move as freely as if the Six were but one. To describe this common market of 180 million consumers from six countries and its association with Greece, Turkey and 19 newly independent African states is the role of the European Communities Pavilion.
( Document: Official Guide of l'Expo 67, Copyright 1967 by Maclean-Hunter Publishing Co. Ltd. )
Man and is World in 1969
A modern parody of Breughel's, The Wind leading the blind greets the visitor in this pavilion. The work of famed cartoonist Ed McNally, the mural highlights his view of many leading contemporary politicians. A feature of the pavilion is the sixth annual International Salon of Cartoons. Located in the main hall of the pavilion, the salon shows some 400 cartoons, chosen by a jury from among entries from 52 countries around the world.
(Man and his world 1969 - Official Guide - published by the city of Montreal)
Economique European Community